“Orientation on Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights to Girls with Disabilities.(Lumbini Province)”
“Orientation on Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights to Girls with Disabilities.”
Bardiya, Banke, Lumbini Province
7th January, 2023
Access Planet Organization organized one-day orientation Program on “Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights to Girls with Disabilities” from 4 different schools of Banke District which took place at Vijaya Hotel of Bardiya, Lumbini Province. Twenty girls with visual impairment and Physical disabilities participated in the orientation program. The orientation program was conducted with the funding support of Women Fund Asia.
The objective of the orientation was to sensitize girls with disabilities on various dimensions of SRHR.
Major issues covered in the orientation were:
Human body and development
- Bodily changes and psychosocial changes during adolescence
- Anatomy and physiology of sexual and reproductive organs
- Reproductive system.
Menstrual Hygiene and Management
- Process and why and how girls menstruate.
- Sharing of 1st menstruation experience by the participants.
- Menstrual hygiene product, its proper use and disposal (menstrual cup, sanitary pad, tampon, cloth pad)
- Taboos, myths and misconception related to menstruation, its effects and the ways to eliminate those taboos.
- Managing menstruation in hygienic way.
Contraceptive devices and other different SRHR components
- Family Planning, contraceptive devices and their types :Temporary contraceptive devices and permanent contraceptive devices
- Detailed information on The IEC board consisted the information of the temporary contraceptive devices with:
- Name and information of temporary contraceptive devices in printed words.
- Name and information of temporary contraceptive devices in braille.
- Pictures of contraceptive devices and sample.
Gender Based Violence and the ways to eliminate
- Sex and gender
- Good touch and bad touch
- Consent, privacy and physical integrity
- Safe use of information and communication technologies
Outcomes of the training:
- 20 participants were oriented, sensitized and were provided guidance regarding the sexual and reproductive health rights.
- Inclusivity of girls with visual impairments and physical disability.
- The participants were able to learn about the body physiological changes during adolescent.
- The participants were able to learn about the ways of prevention from sexual abuse and institutions to support those cases.
- The participants became more aware about the menstrual hygiene products as well as contraceptive devices as the sample of products were shown.
- The participants have developed confidence to speak freely on the matter of SRHR.