Stakeholder consultation on the Situation and Way Forward for Employment and Self-employment opportunities of women with disabilities in Nepalgunj.
20th July, 2023
Access Planet Organization in the funding support of APWLD (Asia Pacific forum on woman, law and development) conducted Stakeholder consultation on the Situation and Way Forward for Employment and Self-employment opportunities of women with disabilities in Nepalgunj. Forty-two participants including the government officials working at the local level, Employers, representatives from media agency, representatives of the organizations of persons with disabilities and persons with disabilities from Nepalgunj sub metropolitan city were present in the interaction program.
The consultation program aimed to create platform for organizations of persons with disabilities (OPDS) and persons with disabilities to share the situation and challenges faced by persons with disabilities in access to employment and self-employment opportunities, sensitize stakeholders and local level representatives on the efforts made by persons with disabilities and sensitize local government on the issue. The consultation program also aimed to create platform for persons with disability to build networking with the employers and stakeholders.
- To analyze the situation and challenges faced by persons with disabilities in access to employment and self-employment opportunities in regards to SDG Goal8.
- To sensitize stakeholders and local level representatives on the employability and self-employability of women with disabilities.
- To provide suggestions and recommendations to the local government representatives and private sector employers on the way forward for promoting economic rights of women with disabilities.
- To build the networking of women with disabilities with the stakeholders and expand the opportunities for promoting employment and self-employment.
- Suggestions and recommendations to the local government representatives on employment and self-employment areas regarding their roles and responsibilities was provided.
- Commitments were gathered from representatives of local level of government, Employers and media representatives on addressing the issues of employment and self-employment opportunities.
- Access Planet and Persons with disabilities in the community were able to strengthen the network with the stakeholders.
- The consultation program helped to identify the situation of employment and self-employment of women with disabilities and to identify the way forward for further advocacy.