Training of Trainers on Leadership and Legal Literacy to Young Women with Disabilities of Karnali Province
Training of Trainers on Leadership and Legal Literacy to Young Women with Disabilities of Karnali Province,
Date: 22-23 March, 2022.
Location: Birendranagar, Surkhet.
On 22-23 March, 2022, Access Planet Organization conducted 2 days training of trainers (ToT) on Leadership and Legal Literacy to Young women with Disabilities from Surkhet and Dailekh district, Karnali Province. The training was conducted in the funding support of Frida with the objective of capacitating young women with disabilities and strengthening campaigning at the local level in regards to women and disability rights.
In the training, the participants were provided with sessions on leadership and legal literacy including:
- Team building and group formation
- Leadership, Leadership Values and Diversity,
- Public speaking and handling formal programs
- communication and letter writing skills
The training also focused on providing knowledge to the participants on legal aspects in regards to disability rights including:
- Act Relating to the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and its Regulation
- UNCRPD and its optional protocol
- Sustainable Development Goals Focusing on Disability Related Indicators
This training aimed at empowering young women with disabilities in the grassroots so that the movement of young women with disabilities in the community will be strengthen. After the training, advocacy committee has been formed in each two districts which is responsible to take forward the movement of young women with disabilities in their respective districts.
At the end of two-days training, a short closing program was conducted. The program was honored with the presence of Dev Kumar Subedi, Mayor of Birendra Nagar Municipality as the Chief Guest. He expressed his commitment to work for the empowerment of young women with disabilities in his municipality.
Outcomes of the Program:
- 10 young women with disabilities have got skills on leadership and legal literacy
- Advocacy committees have been formed in Surkhet and Dailekh Districts to strengthen the local campaigning at the local level
- Access Planet’s relationship with the local government has been strengthened.