Issue Identification Workshop on Access to Justice For Girls and Women with Disabilities_Karnali Province
26th August 2023
Karnali Province, Nepal
Access Planet Organization in support of Leading from the South (LFS)- Women’s Fund Asia (WFA) organized an event on- “Issue Identification Workshop on Access to Justice For Girls and Women with Disabilities”. The half-day workshop was conducted to identify and understand the challenges faced by persons with disabilities in accessing justice. The girls and women with disabilities along with representatives of organizations of persons with disabilities (OPDs) and women’s rights organizations participated in the workshop.
The main objectives of the workshop are as follows:
- The workshop aimed to identify and understand the challenges faced by persons with disabilities in accessing justice, discuss potential solutions, and empower participants to advocate for an inclusive and accessible justice system.
- Expand the programs and activities of Access Planet by establishing formal or informal networks of the organization in different provinces.
- Prepare an advocacy manifesto to be submitted to the local government and the stakeholders.
Ms. Gargi Nepal, President of Access Planet, led a comprehensive workshop on access to justice for persons with disabilities. The workshop began with an introduction to Access Planet's objectives and the importance of access to justice, followed by an icebreaker activity to foster a positive atmosphere. Participants explored the barriers faced by individuals with disabilities in the justice system and engaged in group activities to identify challenges, brainstorm solutions, and share best practices. The session also included empowerment on advocacy and forming networks. Action plans were developed, and personal commitments were made to contribute to the cause. The workshop concluded with an open discussion and a call to action, emphasizing collaboration and the creation of an inclusive justice system.
The primary outputs of the workshop are listed in points as follows:
- Various challenges and issues faced by persons with disabilities in accessing justice were identified under different headings, potential solutions were also discussed and participants were empowered to advocate for an inclusive and accessible justice system.
- Sensitization on the discussed issues, problems, solutions, and ways forward.
- Strengthened relationships with women with disabilities, OPDs, and women’s rights organizations in the province.