Role of Policymakers and Stakeholders in the Creation and Effective Implementation of Bills and Laws Related to School Education
2nd October 2023
Access Planet Organization, with the support of the Disability Rights Fund (DRF), organized an event on the "Role of Policymakers and Stakeholders in the Creation and Effective Implementation of Bills and Laws Related to School Education." The discussion program brought together key stakeholders, policymakers, and representatives from various sectors. Held on October 2, 2080, the program aimed to explore critical aspects of educational policy and legislation, with a particular focus on ensuring inclusivity and aligning with Nepal's Constitution, the Act on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, and international conventions.
Distinguished guests and experts gathered to deliberate on strategies to enhance the education system, advocate for inclusive education provisions, and address the unique challenges faced by individuals with disabilities and teachers in the education sector. The collaboration of participants and organizations, including Access Planet Organization, underscored the commitment to creating an equitable and inclusive educational landscape in Nepal.
The main objectives of the event are as follows:
- To promote the development of legislation that aligns with inclusive education principles as per Nepal's Constitution and international conventions.
- To propose specific provisions for the Education Act that support inclusive education, including addressing the needs of students and teachers with disabilities.
- To encourage policymakers and stakeholders to engage in constructive dialogue and work collaboratively toward a shared vision of inclusive education in Nepal.
The event hosted by Access Planet was a powerful gathering focused on making education more inclusive. Led by Ms. Srijana Dhakal, the program started warmly, and discussions were fueled by Ms. Laxmi Nepal and Mr. Om Prakash Banjade's insights. Representatives from Organizations of Persons with Disabilities shared crucial points, stressing the need for specific laws, inclusive training, and vital missing aspects in the proposed bill. The commitments made by various stakeholders, like Bhanubhakta Joshi, Bina Lama and others, outlined clear steps for a more inclusive education system. Wrapping up with gratitude and a summary, the event paved the way for concrete actions toward a fairer education landscape.
The primary outputs of the discussion are listed as follows:
- Participants gained a deeper understanding of deficiencies in the proposed School Education Bill, particularly in inclusive education and the needs of educators with disabilities.
- Policymakers and stakeholders made specific commitments to enhance inclusivity in education.
- The event fostered dialogue and future collaborative efforts.
- Participants were better equipped to advocate for changes benefiting individuals with disabilities in education.