Orientation to school management committee on inclusive education for girls and women with disabilities_Bhaktapur
12th October 2023
Bhaktapur, Bagmati Province, Nepal
Access Planet Organization, with the support of the Disability Rights Fund (DRF), hosted a half-day event titled "Orientation to School Management Committee on Inclusive Education for Girls and Women with Disabilities". The program aimed to raise awareness and provide critical insights into the issues surrounding education and technology access for girls and young women with disabilities at the local level.
- Raise awareness about challenges in education and technology access for girls and young women with disabilities.
- Identify specific barriers to inclusive education.
- Facilitate open dialogue and collaborative problem-solving.
The orientation on inclusive education, led by Ms. Srijana Dhakal and presented by Ms. Laxmi Nepal of Access Planet, marked a significant milestone in promoting inclusivity for girls and women with disabilities in Nepal. The event encompassed a warm welcome, an insightful presentation on disability rights, group discussions identifying challenges, and action-planning sessions. The collaborative efforts of School Management Committees (SMCs) resulted in concrete strategies, such as tailored question papers, disability-friendly environments, and collaboration with local authorities. Each group outlined specific steps, emphasizing awareness, collaboration with disability organizations, teacher training, and infrastructure improvements. The orientation concluded with a commitment to fostering inclusive education and technology access, serving as a valuable guide for future initiatives at the local level.
- The event successfully raised awareness about the challenges and importance of inclusive education for girls and women with disabilities among the participants.
- Participants collaboratively developed actionable plans and recommendations to improve inclusive education practices at the local level, empowering School Management Committees to implement positive changes.
- The event facilitated networking and collaboration among participants, fostering a collective commitment to supporting inclusive education for individuals with disabilities in Nepal.