Orientation to School Management Committee on inclusive education for girls and women with disabilities_Dhangadhi
22nd November 2023
Dhangadhi, Sudurpaschim Province, Nepal
Access Planet Organization, with the support of the Disability Rights Fund (DRF), hosted an event titled "Orientation to School Management Committee on Inclusive Education for Girls and Women with Disabilities". The program aimed to raise awareness and provide critical insights into the issues surrounding education and technology access for girls and young women with disabilities at the local level.
- Raise awareness about education and technology access challenges for girls and young women with disabilities.
- Identify specific barriers to inclusive education.
- Facilitate open dialogue and collaborative problem-solving
The orientation on inclusive education, moderated by Ms. Jyotsana Prajapati, Program Manager of Access Planet and featuring a welcome speech by Sabita Chaudhary, treasurer of Access Planet Dhangadhi branch, marked a crucial milestone in fostering inclusivity for girls and women with disabilities in Nepal. The presentation by Ms. Laxmi Nepal, Founder of Access Planet covered key aspects of disability rights, and participants, including School Management Committee (SMC) representatives, shared their challenges and insights. Notable recommendations from Man Bdr. Saud, Harish Ojha, and Ghan Shyam Bhatta highlighted the importance of accessible admissions, awareness, and inclusive policies. Group discussions resulted in action plans, with specific commitments from various schools to improve infrastructure, offer specialized programs, and enhance teacher training for students with disabilities. The event concluded as a significant step toward promoting inclusive education and technology access at the local level, with findings and recommendations poised to guide future initiatives in this direction.
- The event successfully raised awareness about the challenges and importance of inclusive education for girls and women with disabilities among the participants.
- Participants collaboratively developed actionable plans and recommendations to improve inclusive education practices at the local level, empowering School Management Committees to implement positive changes.
- The event facilitated networking and collaboration among participants, fostering a collective commitment to supporting inclusive education for individuals with disabilities in Nepal.